Manage episode 184906710 series 1207151
Living in the Netherlands with kids. Cultural identity and dual citizenship. Entrepreneur visas and education. These are just a few topics from today's episode of Epic Education Radio.
Like what you’re hearing?
Then please subscribe, rate & review Epic Education Radio.
We would be extremely grateful!
iTunes is a search engine as well, and so when you rate and review us, you help others find us. Thank you!
Living in the Netherlands with Kids
Meet Jessika Lynch. Long before she lived in the Netherlands with kids, she came to Holland on her own and made a life for herself.
Fast forward 21 years she is married to a fellow American expatriate and living in the Netherlands with kids — two boys, aged 10 and 8. In this Epic Education Radio interview, Jessika talks about how she made a life for herself in Holland. Her particular situation may not be as repeatable, but she explains how certain visa types may help many of you find your way to the Netherlands with kids, as well.
She describes how the school systems work in Amsterdam. She also talks about issues related to cultural identities, such as learning Dutch and the importance of her children relating to their relatives back in the United States.
Listen in if you're thinking of moving to the Netherlands with kids. And please share!
IN THIS EPISODE
- 01:35 Intro & Origins
- 03:10 Cultural identity & schools in the Netherlands
- 13:42 How they did it
- 15:25 Coming to the Netherlands with kids as an entrepreneur
- 21:51 Dual citizenship
- 23:42 Schools in Amsterdam
- 34:45 Homeschooling in the Netherlands
- 36:00 Traveling in and around the Netherlands
- 40:46 Working in the Netherlands and the "minimum viable happiness level" [FYI: my mic gets a little distorted here...sorry!]
- Names: Jessika Lynch, her husband and two kids (now 10 & 8 years old)
- Hold passports from: USA, with residency in the Netherlands
- Type of travel: Living abroad, Living in the Netherlands with kids
LINKS & RESOURCES
- Dutch-American Friendship Treaty
- TEDx Amsterdam Ed
- The Dutch Education Group on Facebook
- Lainie & Miro Seigel speaking at Jessika's Tedx Ed event
FIND HER ON
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. This means, at no extra cost to you, we might receive a small commission if you make a purchase or book using those links. My opinions are my own and I only recommend places/services that I believe will genuinely help your travel.
Full-on family travel fundamentals. Epic Education Radio is interviews, stories and advice for people who decide to make travel a priority in their family's life...and for those who want to. Tune in each week to hear stories and advice from new traveling families, and hear how they've handled various family travel-related issues like education, socialization, working, budgeting, accommodation, road-parenting, safety, technology and more. We talk gear, websites, apps and other resources for traveling & nomadic families, and answer questions from those who would like to do something similar.