Manage episode 321552509 series 3320433
In this episode of 80k After Hours, Keiran Harris interviews 80,000 Hours advisor (and former high school teacher) Alex Lawsen about his advice for students.
- When half-assing something is a good idea
- When you should actually learn things vs. just trying to seem smart
- Why you should shift your focus over the academic year
- Novel tips for preparing for exams
- What to do if you struggle with motivation
- What to do when you have bad teachers
- How students should think about exploring and experimenting
- Bad approaches to learning
- How to think about personal goals
- When to start thinking about your career seriously
- And more.
Who this episode is for:
- Students, parents, and teachers
- People who know a student, parent, or teacher
- People with an interest in improving education
Who this episode isn’t for:
- People with no interest in improving education
- People who get mad when an 80,000 Hours podcast doesn’t feature Rob Wiblin
Our 1-1 team can talk to you about career options, make introductions in your chosen fields, and help you work out next steps on a free careers call. Apply now.
Get this episode by subscribing to our more experimental podcast on the world’s most pressing problems and how to solve them: type 80k After Hours into your podcasting app.
Producer: Keiran Harris
Audio mastering: Ryan Kessler
Transcriptions: Katy Moore