Manage episode 232133683 series 1542236
In this episode, the second half of a two-part interview by Terrance Layhew of The Intellectual Agrarian, Brandon and Terrance discuss: on-farm processing standards; how locally-raised food contributes to a healthier environment; the backlash of "modern efficiency"; how savvy cooks and consumers contribute to the production of higher quality meats; the unique skill set needed by mobile slaughtermen (and the daily challenges they face); and other topics.Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming spring classes!
- Divine Mercy Lamb Roast - Sun, April 28th, St. John Vianney Catholic Church, Vashon Island: You're invited!
- Pre-show chat, 1:00
- Brandon's biographical sketch, 2:45
- Academia and the lack of first-hand knowledge, 10:38
- On-farm animal harvesting myths, 15:05
- The burden of abundance - utilizing 100% of the animal carcass in the home kitchen, 24:13
- Modern-day estrangement from the anatomy of animals, 29:11
- On-farm processing standards, 1:03
- Locally-raised food for a healthier environment, 5:44
- The backlash of modern "efficiency" and being estranged from the cost of one's existence, 8:17
- Fat: "the most unappreciated edible part of the animal", 16:05
- The contribution of savvy cooks and consumers to the production of high quality meats, 19:59
- The three methods of cooking meat: braise, pan-fry and roast, 21:54
- Re: mobile slaughtermen, 25:39
- Brandon's favorite species to harvest ...(and why a tenderloin is useless to him), 30:37