Manage episode 224049946 series 1542236
In these episodes Brandon and Lauren discuss smoking. They explain its spiritual and cultural importance among traditional societies, its critical role as a pre-refrigeration meat preservation technique, and its incredible ability to enhance the flavor of any meat. They also discuss: brining as preparation for smoking, utilizing wood as a fuel source, the difference between hot and cold smoking, why blue smoke is preferable to white, special considerations for smoking sausage, and why smoking and drinking go hand-in-hand. Brandon also discusses the design of his smokehouse and why he loves his Weber grill.
Introduction and Announcements:
- Help us produce four episodes a month by supporting us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/meatsmith.
- We have upcoming fall classes!
- The burden of abundance, and pondering the history of pigs in the Pacific Northwest, 1:44
- Utilitarian function of smoking, 8:00
- Smoking as: a component of culture, a flavor enhancer, and a bridge to the divine, 11:30
- Curing/brining meat before smoking
- Difference between hot and cold smoking, 33:15
- Our smoker, 38:50
- White vs. blue smoke, 44:10
Coming Soon!Links for Episode 24:
- Tales from the Green Valley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_the_Green_Valley
- Weber Grills: https://www.weber.com/US/en/home/
Links for Episode 25 coming soon!