Manage episode 291701415 series 2525913
Back in episode 16, we talked about disciplining a sensory kiddo and it has remained one of our most listened-to episodes. So, we thought we would revisit the topic and incorporate some new ideas.
Discipline is a tricky topic, and it presents challenges even without a sensory difficulty or diagnosis, so we are here to share what we think works best.
We walk through a case study in a classroom setting, unpacking the child's response to being overstimulated and overwhelmed. It appears that the child's behavior is "bad," but when we dig deeper, we can see that he is just responding in the only way he knows how.
We share some of the types of discipline we believe have the most positive outcomes, offer some reasons as to why your child might be acting out, and highlight the importance of tailoring your disciplinary approach according to what your child feels most comfortable with.
Remember to always go into these situations with all the kindness and empathy to help those having a hard time!
Key Points From This Episode:
- A case study to highlight a common challenge for sensory kiddos.
- The steps Rachel and Jessica would take to help the child in the case study.
- Types of discipline that work best for sensory children: consistency, kindness, visual cues, and more.
- Think about how you want to be disciplined and how you would want someone to react to you.
- You have to discipline your children differently regardless of diagnosis or label.
- Some reasons that your child might be having a hard time or acting out.
- The value of taking preventative measures to help your child manage their triggers.
- Be empathetic to children and adults with sensory challenges.
- How teachers and therapists can approach working with their sensory students or clients.
Be sure to check out the show notes on our blog at Harkla.Co/Podcast.
Brought To You By Harkla
This podcast is brought to you by Harkla. Our mission at Harkla is to help those with special needs live happy and healthy lives. We accomplish this through high-quality sensory products, child development courses, & The Harkla Sensory Club.
Podcast listeners get 10% off their first order at Harkla with the discount code "sensory". Head to Harkla.co/sensory to start shopping now,.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode: