Manage episode 293993486 series 2525913
Traveling can be quite challenging, so it's time to revisit this topic as the world is opening back up again and there are more opportunities to travel.
Here we give you some helpful advice on how to put together sensory diets to help your kiddos feel successful during times of travel, and tips, tricks, and strategies to make your life and your child's lives just a little bit easier.
You’ll hear about what a sensory diet is and how it can be used to help both kids and adults cope with traveling. Find out how to prepare your child prior to the trip, what to do the day of the trip, how to help your child adjust when you get to your destination, and how to help your child decompress when you return home.
For some great activity ideas to incorporate more movement into the experience, and a long list of tried and tested traveling hacks and products that we never leave home without, tune in today!
Key Points From This Episode:
- What a sensory diet is and how it’s not necessarily related to food.
- Incorporating sensory diet strategies into travel.
- Preparing your child for what's going to come.
- Practicing for the trip beforehand.
- Planning more activities than you think you'll need.
- Benefits of visuals, a visual timers and a visual schedule.
- Packing different textured snacks.
- The day before travel: calming sensory activities.
- Cramming as much movement as possible if your child is going to be sitting for a long time.
- Getting your child to help you pack.
- What a sensory diet on the day of traveling may look like.
- A long list of helpful items to pack/purchase before your trip.
- Sensory hacks Rachel and Jessica have found and heard from the community.
- Setting up a quiet sensory space when you get to your destination.
- Maintaining their routine in a new environment as much as possible.
- Empathizing with your child.
- Allowing time for decompression when you get back home.
Be sure to check out the show notes on our blog at Harkla.Co/Podcast.
Brought To You By Harkla
This podcast is brought to you by Harkla. Our mission at Harkla is to help those with special needs live happy and healthy lives. We accomplish this through high-quality sensory products, child development courses, & The Harkla Sensory Club.
Podcast listeners get 10% off their first order at Harkla with the discount code "sensory". Head to Harkla.co/sensory to start shopping now.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
BrainWorks Sensory Cards
All Things Sensory on Instagram
Harkla on Instagram
All Things Sensory on Facebook
For a full list of the items we recommend please visit this episode on our website, Harkla.co.