Manage episode 210687674 series 2364858
Today we talk with Jens Notroff from the Gobekli Tepe research project about the recent news stories about possible evidence for a comet strike at the ancient site. We look over the claims made in the paper ‘DECODING GÖBEKLI TEPE WITH ARCHAEOASTRONOMY: WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY?’ and compare that with ongoing research from the actual Gobekli Tepe site.
Shout out to David Anderson for his help with the episode! Thanks again!
- DECODING GÖBEKLI TEPE WITH ARCHAEOASTRONOMY: WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY? Martin B. Sweatman* and Dimitrios Tsikritsis
- Archaeoastronomy, meteor showers, mass extinction: What does the fox say? (And what the crane? The aurochs?) Jens Notroff’s rebuttal.
- Response by Sweatman and Tsikritsis
- Official project website at DAI homepage
- Göbekli Tepe research project weblog
- List of Göbekli Tepe publications (incl. further links)
- Göbekli Tepe 14C dates
- Göbekli Tepe interpretation as ‘meeting center’
- Göbekli Tepe
- Ancient temple tells the tale of an ice age-inducing comet collision
- Ancient stone carvings confirm how comet struck Earth in 10,950BC, sparking the rise of civilizations
- Does this discovery of ancient stone carvings prove that conspiracy theorist Graham Hancock was right all along?
- Nanodiamonds Are Forever; A UCSB professor’s research examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents. By Julie Cohen
- Study dis-confirms the Nanodiamonds hypothesis, can’t find them. Comprehensive analysis of nanodiamond evidence relating to the Younger Dryas Impact Hypothesis, by Daulton et al, 2016
- Previous study also disconfirms Nanodiamonds. Chronological evidence fails to support claim of an isochronous widespread layer of cosmic impact indicators dated to 12,800 years ago by Meltzer et al 2014
- Another disconfirmation of an extraterrestrial impact at the Younger Dryas Boundary:
- Pro-Nanodiamonds article: Nanodiamond-Rich Layer across Three Continents Consistent with Major Cosmic Impact at 12,800 Cal BP by Kinzie et al 2014
- The Younger Dryas
- ‘Younger Dryas Impact’ hypothesis
- Arguments against Younger Dryas Impact Event
- Colavito post on these articles
- Colavito post on strife and non-strife between Andrew Collins and Graham Hancock on the Younger Dryas
- Colavito’s various Younger Dryas posts
- Video presentation by Daniela Triadan on pre-sedentary monumental Maya site of Ceibal
- Poverty Point
- Ragnarok: The Age of Fire and Gravel
- Video on Mississippian Cosmovision including archaeoastronomy
- Behind the Jericho Skull in the British Museum
- The kind of history of Middle Eastern Constellations one might want to cite in this case – Origins of the ancient constellations: I. The Mesopotamian traditions, by John H. Rogers
- Discussion on the Archaeosoup Podcast
- Speaking Up and Speaking Out: Collective Efforts in the Fight to Reclaim the Public Perception of Archaeology
- Email us at ArchyFantasies@gmail.com
- Follow us on Twitter at @Archyfantasies and find us on FaceBook.
- Theme Music by ArcheopSoup Productions