Manage episode 283848466 series 2505444
Growing lavender is the topic of this week’s conversation as we join our host Nicole and Paola of Sage Creations Organic Farm.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Soil types lavender grows best in.
- Growing lavender for various usages.
- Diseases and pests to look out for.
- Suppressing weeds within your lavender crop.
- The life span of the lavender shrub.
- What to consider before growing lavender.
Paola has worked in organic farming and marketing for the last 25 years. In her commitment to organic farming and raising her family in Colorado’s clean air and wholesome way of life, she manages the farm and maintains lavender fields, 4000 feet of greenhouse space, medicinal herb crops, heirloom vegetables and a cherry orchard!
Paola has always had a love for herbs and vegetables and thought lavender would be a great crop for Colorado, and began her journey of growing lavender in 2006.
Over the years as lavender fields grew, Sage Creations extended their product line to include certified organic essential oils; lavender inspired home décor, bath, and body products, and lavender plant starts.
Sage Creations farms are 10 acres and currently has 6 acres in lavender production. They grow 3 species and over 60 different cultivars of lavender. For the last 11 years, the farm has been trialing different species and cultivars of lavender to see which is best suited for the South Western State’s climate and its different zones.
Sage Farmers works with numerous growers throughout Colorado and the Southwestern states. Their farm’s lavender plugs and plants have been sold throughout the US. In addition to propagating and distilling lavender.
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
- Sage Creations Organic Farm Website
- Sage Creations Organic Farm Facebook Page
- Sage Creations Organic Farm Instagram
- Sage Creations Organic Farm YouTube Channel
- Sage Creations Guide to Ordering Lavender for Spring Planting: What you need to know
- Michigan State University Growing Lavender Guide
- Lavender Association of Colorado
- US Lavender Growers Association
*Denotes affiliate links
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/heritageacres)