Manage episode 286267610 series 2505444
History of Beekeeping in North America is this week's topic on Backyard Bounty podcast as we join Nicole and Dr. Tammy Horn Potter.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- How honey bees made their way to North America
- What four inventions of the 1800’s are still used in beekeeping today
- How History of Beekeeping tells of using bees to defend against Vikings!
Tammy is the author of three books about honey bees: Bees in America, How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation was published in 2005; Beeconomy: What Women and Bees teach us about Local Trade and Global Markets in 2012; and her most recent book Flower Power: Establishing Pollinator Habitat published in 2019.
She is also the Kentucky State Apiarist for the Kentucky Department of Agriculture and serves on serve on four boards related to bees: Honey Bee Health Coalition, Eastern Apiculture Society, Foundation for the Preservation of Honey Bees, and Project Apis M
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
- Tammy Horn Potter Facebook
- * Bees in America: How the Honey Bee Shaped a Nation
- * Beeconomy: What Women and Bees Can Teach Us about Local Trade and the Global Market
- * Flower Power: Establishing Pollinator Habitat
- Tammy’s books are also available through the
- If you wish to get hold of Tammy for a hive inspection in the state of Kentucky please email Tammy.Potter@KY.gov she generally needs about 2 weeks' notice.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Your support helps us continue to provide the best possible episodes!
- Find video episodes on YouTube
- Subscribe to the podcast email newsletter
- Submit a question or suggestion for the show
- Shop Backyard Bounty merchandise
- Join our text community (719) 292- 3207
- Get behind the scenes with Patreon
- Find us online @HeritageAcresMarket: Website / Facebook Page / Facebook Group / Instagram / TikTok / Twitter / Gab / Pinterest
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/heritageacres)