Manage episode 281114138 series 2505444
The prevention and management of common backyard chicken predators is the topic being discussed this week as we join Nicole and Dr. Matt Springer of the University of Kentucky.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Learn which are the most common predators of your backyard chickens.
- Techniques for the prevention and management of common backyard chicken predators.
- How securing your flock and their food supply will be one of the best tools in the prevention and management of common backyard chicken predators.
- How your State Wildlife Agency and local Extension Service can help in the prevention and management of common backyard chicken predators.
- How to use fencing, escape cover, and netting as a tool against common predators from the ground and sky.
Matt Springer, Ph.D. is an Assistant Extension Professor of Wildlife Management at the University of Kentucky.
Matt Springer is from Allentown, Pennsylvania, and went to Juniata College for his B.S., University of Delaware for M.S., and Southern Illinois University Carbondale for his Ph.D.
Although he grew up in the city Matt was instilled with a love of nature from his parents. An avid hunter, fisherman, and trapper he enjoys gardening and has had a small chicken flock until recently. Matt has firsthand experience with the prevention and management of common backyard chicken predators
RESOURCES & LINKS MENTIONED
- University of Kentucky Wildlife Extension Facebook Page
- University of Kentucky Extension Website
- University of Kentucky Forestry Extension Radio Show/Podcast
- From The Woods Today on YouTube
- University of Kentucky Predator Management for Small-scale Poultry Enterprises in Kentucky PDF
- University of Nebraska Identification Key to Scat
- *National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Mammals (National Audubon Society Field Guides) 2nd Edition
- *Peterson Field Guide to Mammals of North America (Peterson Field Guides (Paperback)) Paperback – October 1, 2006
- *National Audubon Society Pocket Guide: Familiar Animal Tracks of North America
- *Bird Netting 50’x50′ Heavy Duty Nylon Netting for Bird, Poultry,Deer and Other Pests
*Denotes affiliate links
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Your support helps us continue to provide the best possible episodes!
- Get behind the scenes on Patreon
- Shop Backyard Bounty Swag & More
- Follow us on Facebook and Instagram
- Join our Hens & Hives Facebook Group
- Join our VIP Text Club
- Leave a question or comment on our podcast message page
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/heritageacres)