Manage episode 282658362 series 1185038
Leaders are responsible for dealing with difficult times, but that doesn't mean every leader will find the best answers. Last year, a hard-times making machine put every leader's abilities to deal with adversity to the test.
Today's guest, Mike Choutka, President and CEO of Hensel Phelps, based his strategy to cope with tough times on momentum, the perpetual motion. He went to the fundamentals and succeeded with two simple principles. First, maintain the company's momentum. Fortify what's already working. And second, create new momentum, new ideas to trigger that impulse. He also shares his thoughts on what attributes a good leader should have and valuable advice from his more than 25 years of experience in the building industry.
If you want to know what is expected from a good leader, the relevance of having a well-balanced life and being well rounded, and much more, tune into Episode 264 of Becoming Your Best and listen to the story of this flawless leader.
Some questions I ask:
- What does it take to move up in an organization like this? (5:45)
- What would you say to someone who's looking for something positive to take into 2021? (9:24)
- If you had to share some advice with our listeners, one of your biggest lessons learned through life, what would you share? (19:17)
- If you had your kids in a room, and you could share with them one piece of advice, what would that be for them? (23:20)
In this episode, you will learn:
- The role of good fortune, opportunity, availability, and ability in Mike's career (6:08)
- Learning the lessons from hard times (11:15)
- Momentum will be key in 2021 (17:51)
- Empathetic leaders are the solution (19:17)
- How a balanced life affects people's productivity at work (26:00)
Connect with Mike:
- Hensel Phelps website
- Hensel Phelps Facebook
- Hensel Phelps Twitter
- Hensel Phelps Linkedin
- Hensel Phelps Instagram
Becoming Your Best Resources:
- Becoming Your Best Website
- Becoming Your Best University Website
- Becoming Your Best Library
- Email: email@example.com
- Book: Becoming Your Best: The 12 Principles of Highly Successful Leaders
- Book: Conquer Anxiety: How to Overcome Anxiety and Optimize Your Performance
- Facebook Group – Conquer Anxiety
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.