Manage episode 268749682 series 1698847
Author Richard Askwith discusses with Ivan six things which he thinks should be better known.
Richard Askwith is author of six books, including the award-winning Feet in the Clouds (about fell-running); Today We Die A Little (an acclaimed biography of the Czechoslovak runner Emil Zátopek); and, most recently, Unbreakable: The Countess, the Nazis and the World’s Most Dangerous Horse Race, which won Biography of the Year at the 2020 Telegraph Sports Book Awards. A former executive editor of The Independent, he has been a journalist for forty years and continues to earn much of his living from freelance feature-writing.
- Milada Horáková https://www.independent.co.uk/independentpremium/long-reads/milada-horakova-czech-republic-communist-era-show-trial-a9517401.html
- La Commune https://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/03/movies/film-review-it-s-paris-in-1871-and-you-are-there.html
- The rich recreational potential of mud https://www.amazon.co.uk/Running-Free-Runners-Journey-Nature/dp/0224091964
- Sortition https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sortition
- Frances Horovitz https://www.bloodaxebooks.com/ecs/category/frances-horovitz
- Lata Brandisová https://www.telegraph.co.uk/racing/2019/03/03/greatest-sports-story-never-told-woman-defied-nazis-win-toughest/
Bubbling under: Charles Webb https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jul/06/charles-webb-obituary
This podcast is powered by ZenCast.fm