Manage episode 276023755 series 83575
You, BiggerPockets listener, may have more in common with Matthew McConaughey than first realized...
Changing careers. Wondering how family life fits in with a hard-driving work ethic. Embracing spontaneity, but learning that success comes from making the choice today to "be kind to your future self."
The Oscar-winning actor covers those topics and more in our chat today. A lifelong journaler, McConaughey is in a reflective mood after writing his first book, Greenlights... which is filled with unforgettable stories about growing up the son of Texas an oil pipe "peddler," stumbling into acting after a night drinking with the producer of Dazed and Confused, getting arrested for playing the bongo drums in the nude, and his mid-career shift toward intense, challenging projectslike Dallas Buyers Club.
If you're thinking "nah, this episode won't teach me how to house hack"... fair enough. But give it a chance and see if you aren't entertained. It's a soulful, positive, not-at-all-Hollywood conversation about choices, happiness, and success. Here's to catching more greenlights!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Matthew's upbringing and lessons learned from his parents
- His decision to reject law school to pursue film
- His dad's 3 words of advice on choosing a career
- Forming your personal identity through a process of elimination
- How he prepares for intense roles
- The power of solo travel
- His faith
- His beliefs about money and philanthropy
- The give-and-take between career and family life
Links from the Show
Click here to get the full show notes: https://www.biggerpockets.com/show413