Manage episode 302570344 series 1423445
This week we’re joined by Adam Jacob, CEO of System Initiative and Co-Founder of Chef, about open source business models and the model he thinks is the right one to choose, his graceful exit from Chef and some of the details behind Chef’s acquisition in 2020 for $220 million…in cash, and how his perspective on open source has or has not changed as a result. Adam also shared as much stealth mode details as he could about System Initiative.
Join Changelog++ to support our work, get closer to the metal, and make the ads disappear!
- InfluxDB – InfluxDB empowers developers to build IoT, analytics, and monitoring software. It’s purpose-built to handle massive volumes and countless sources of time-stamped data produced by sensors, applications, and infrastructure. Learn about the wide range of use cases of InfluxDB at influxdata.com/changelog
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at developer.squareup.com to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Teleport – Teleport Access Plane lets you access any computing resource anywhere. Engineers and security teams can unify access to SSH servers, Kubernetes clusters, web applications, and databases across all environments. Try Teleport today in the cloud, self-hosted, or open source at goteleport.com
- Fastly – Our bandwidth partner. Fastly powers fast, secure, and scalable digital experiences. Move beyond your content delivery network to their powerful edge cloud platform. Learn more at fastly.com
- Adam Jacob – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub
Notes and Links
- Read this Twitter thread from Adam Jacob
- The Changelog #353: The war for the soul of open source featuring Adam Jacob
- The Changelog #429: Community perspectives on Elastic vs AWS (a deep dive on the business of open source)
- Progress Announces Acquisition of Chef
- Chef co-founder and CTO Adam Jacob stepping down, will remain on board of directors
- Tailwind CSS
- Why We’re Relicensing CockroachDB
- Founders Talk #75: The journey to massive scale and ultra-resilience
featuring Spencer Kimball, CEO & Co-founder of Cockroach Labs
- System Initiative