Combat Story (Ep 33): Jon Macaskill | Navy SEAL | Commander | Men Talking Mindfulness | Entrepreneur
Manage episode 297173082 series 2854986
EVENT: If you'd like to attend a Q&A session with Combat Story's Ryan Fugit, please fill out this form.
Today we hear the Combat Story of Jon Macaskill, a retired Navy SEAL Commander turned mindfulness and meditation teacher. He spent a career in the Navy’s Special Warfare and military Joint Special Operations communities and served in Iraq, Afghanistan, off the coast of Somalia, and in Panama.
One story that Jon shares in this episode and which shows the burdens and gut wrenching aspects of combat, was his association with Operation Red Wings, which many will recall from the book and movie Lone Survivor.
Jon is a Naval Academy graduate, holds a Master’s degree from the Naval Postgraduate School, and, since retiring, runs a consulting business that brings mindfulness and meditation to high performing teams to aid in dealing with stress, anxiety, and depression, all while increasing focus, creativity, and productivity.
He shares the benefits and opportunities both on the show and on his own podcast, called Men Talking Mindfulness, which, as Jon described it, is what happens when you combine a Navy SEAL and modern day Hippie!
I hope you enjoy Jon’s honest, humble, and challenging Combat Story as much as I did.
#combatstory #SEAL #NavySEAL #specialoperations #specialwarfare
Find Jon online:
- Website: https://macaskillconsulting.com/
- LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonmacaskill/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mindfulfrogman/
- Instagram Men Talking Mindfulness: https://www.instagram.com/mentalkingmindfulness/
Find Ryan online:
- Follow on Instagram @combat_stories (https://www.instagram.com/combat_stories/)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Learn more about Ryan www.combatstory.com/aboutus
- Intro Song: Sport Rock from Audio Jungle
- 0:00 - Intro
- 0:55 - Jon Macaskill’s bio and guest introduction
- 2:00 - Interview begins
- 17:30 - SEAL competition at the Naval Academy
- 24:55 - Something most don’t know about BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training)
- 33:02 - Being an Officer in the SEALs
- 40:07 - Combat Story #1: Deployment to Afghanistan
- 51:03 - Combat Story #2: Operation Red Wings and the Lone Survivor connection. LinkedIN article on this event that's well worth the read: https://thriveglobal.com/stories/this-is-why-i-meditate/
- 1:00:50 - Managing trauma, guilt, depression and finding meditation and mindfulness
- 1:15:48 - Common difficulties for people new to meditation
- 1:18:13 - How to find Jon online
- 1:20:27 - The coolest thing Jon did as a SEAL (leaving a submarine on an SDV - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAL_Delivery_Vehicle)
- 1:22:14 - What’s one thing you carried with you on missions?
- 1:23:45 - Would you go back and do it all again?