Manage episode 285265173 series 2878880
Megan Elliott shares her journey from Australia and indigenous cultural media to trade union representation in Ireland to traveling across Asia connecting leaders and cultures . . before she was found on LinkedIn to bring her superpowers to Nebraska. She tells of the shared collaborative creation of the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, which works to create “pirates, magicians, and wizards” who can reach their dream job or create their dream company right out of school.
Guest: Megan Elliott, Founding Director, Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Megan Elliott is the founding director of the Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts at the University of Nebraska Lincoln. She was previously the manager of leadership and community connections at the University of Technology Sydney in Australia and former director and CEO of digital media think-tank X Media Lab.
From 2015-2016, Elliott served as the manager of Leadership and Community Connections at the University of Technology Sydney in Sydney, Australia’s number-one young university, where she led an international program for students to develop leadership and entrepreneurial skills, as well as instilling a commitment to innovation, social justice, community building, and sustainability.
Elliott has deep ties to emerging media industries across Asia, Europe, and the world. She served as co-founder and director of China Creative Industries Exchange in Beijing and Shanghai, China, from 2007-2015.
From 2005 to 2015, Elliott was the director/chief executive officer for X Media Lab (XML), an internationally acclaimed digital media think-tank and creative workshop for the creative industries that she co-founded with Brendan Harkin. She also served from 2002-2006 as the executive director of the Australian Writers’ Guild.
Originally from Australia, Elliott received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Canberra in Bruce, Australia
Johnny Carson Center for Emerging Media Arts, Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Website: http://arts.unl.edu/carson-center
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/carsoncenterunl
- FB: https://www.facebook.com/carsoncenterunl
- IG: https://www.instagram.com/carsoncenterunl
- McKensie Wark, Professor of Media and Cultural Studies, The New School (NYC) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McKenzie_Wark and https://believermag.com/logger/an-interview-with-mckenzie-wark
- Lynette Walworth, Australian filmmaker/artist/activist - https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/01/lynette-wallworth-climate-change-crystal-award-australia-fires
- Media & Entertainment Arts Alliance, Australia (MEAA) - https://www.meaa.org
- The National University of Ireland Galway - https://www.nuigalway.ie
- Australian Writers’ Guild - https://awg.com.au
- X Media Labs - http://xmedialab.com
- Brendan Harkin -
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/creativeinnovators)