Manage episode 65604804 series 64771
Felice and Woody talk about the year in review – highlights of the political arena in 2014 and an eye to the future.
Radio Show Notes:
Talk about our New Year resolutions – Woody and Felice share their resolutions with all of you. [Hint: Felice doesn’t think Woody’s resolution will last long
Review 2014, the good the bad and the ugly
Good: Election 2014, Pope prays with Caliph for world peace, Economic Recovery
Bad: Obama’s foreign policy moves, North Korea hacking SONY
Ugly: Rise of ISIS and massacres – Ferguson, Michael Brown by Darren Wilson (shooting, riots and looting, cop hating, etc.)
How long have illegal immigrants been coming to America?
Should we deport all illegal immigrants or ….
Does amnesty for some have merit?
First, secure the border? Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) drone program is ineffective and surveys less than 200 miles of the southwest border, according to an audit by the Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of Inspector General.
The program operates 10 Predator B drones at a cost of more than $12,000 for every hour a drone spends in the air,
Court Options on Obama’s amnesty plan:
The first lawsuit, filed last week by a coalition of 24 states led by Texas. Oklahoma is about to file, and other states may do so as well …why?
As for Congress, Rep. Robert Goodlatte, a Republican from Virginia, is spearheading a litigation movement. Once the new Congress is sworn in, the House will file a complaint that the new Republican Senate will (very likely) then vote to join.
- New budget – funds Department of Homeland Security to February
- Not all Republicans agree: Lindsey Graham(R – SC) turned on his own party during a television interview on CNN’s “State of the Union,” chiding Republicans for failing to pass immigration reform before President Obama issued an executive action granting amnesty to about 5 million illegals.
- Graham: “Is it the position of the Republican Party that the 11 million must be driven out? I have never been in that camp as being practical. I am in the camp of securing our borders first; fixing a broken legal immigration system, have an E-Verify program so you can’t cheat.
- Poll: Fox News reveals opposition to immigration amnesty Obama’s unilateral amnesty for millions of illegals.
- The poll shows that immigration is Obama’s worst rated area, where he has only 36 percent support and 60 percent opposition — 2 points more than the 58 percent who oppose Obamacare.
- And the other questions in the poll show that his 36 percent support is much softer than the hard opposition from 60 percent of respondents …one question showed that huge numbers worry that his amnesty will invite more illegals.
- Obama Immigration policy poll: 36% approve – 60% disapprove
- Finally, 49 percent of independents, 72 percent of Republicans and 29 percent of Democrats said it “very” likely that Obama’s “easing the immigration laws with his amnesty plan will result in more people entering the United States illegally.” Only 10 percent of independents, 13 percent of Democrats and 4 percent of Republicans said they were “not at all” concerned.
New Congress – 114th – Discuss organization
- The new Congress is 80 percent white, 80 percent male and 92 percent Christian
- House: 246 Republicans – 188 Democrats – 58 margin – Biggest Republican advantage in 70 years
- Senate: 54 Republicans – 44 Democrats – 2 Independents
- Tea Party vs. Centrists – both houses, McConnell …Boehner challenged by Reps. Louie Gohmert of Texas and Ted Yoho and Daniel Webster of Florida.
- Michael Grimm (R, NY) announced late Monday night plans to resign from Congress, after pleading guilty to a felony tax evasion charge last week.
- Majority Whip Steve Scalise (R, LA) spoke to white supremacist group, European-American Unity and Rights Organization.
What to expect:
- Action on Keystone pipeline
- Jobs Bill, including initiative for hiring veterans
- Tweaking ACA – 40 hr work week, medical devices tax, individual and business mandate
- Iran sanctions
- Next budget …deficit cuts and funding Homeland Security
- Third Quarter – GDP 5% growth in third quarter (July thru September)
- Fastest growth rate in 11 years
- Stock Market up: Dow-Jones exceeded 18,000 for the first time
- Why? Internet sales are up, sinking personal debt, plunging oil prices, increased government contracts – the free market finally prevails
- Who takes credit?
- But, unemployment remains at 5.8%