Manage episode 303261702 series 1131112
There are a few things that come to mind when people speak of southern charm and red velvet cake should definitely be one of them. At the top of this edition of Deep South Dining, Malcolm and Carol take a dive into the history of red velvet cake and even spend a few minutes tasting a chess pie that you can prepare at home. Just follow the recipe below. Also from just up the road in Tennessee, cookbook author and CEO of the Belle Meade Winery, Sheree Rose Kelley talks about her life in food and love of family recipes.
Pumpkin Chess Pie
- 1 stick butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ cups pumpkin (cooked or canned)
- 3 Tablespoons bourbon or water
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cream the butter, sugar and flour.
- Beat in eggs.
- Stir in spices and salt. Mix well.
- Add pumpkin and bourbon. The mixture will have a “curdled” appearance.
- Pour into an unbaked pie shell.
- Bake at 425° for 15 minutes, then 350° for 40 minutes. Cool and serve. (Freezes well.)
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.