Manage episode 268324131 series 2668263
Content warning: police brutality and anti-Black violence.
Before you can sue a police officer under Section 1983, you have to pass a test—essentially demonstrating that your claim is good enough to proceed. It used to be that this test had four seemingly simple parts. But then Chief Justice Rehnquist came along. And the question is this—was William Rehnquist a reasonable man?
Drinks: The Baldy and Blood Hound as originally created by Tom Bullock, the first Black author of a cocktail book. His book, The Ideal Bartender, is available for purchase in various reprints or for free via Project Gutenberg.
Further reading for this episode:
Justice for Elijah McClain
If you're new to the fight for racial and economic justice, or if you're looking for reading material, places to donate, and materials with which to educate yourself, please see below.
- Opportunities for White People in the Fight for Racial Justice Where to Donate
- Black Lives Matter
- What You Can Do (Megathread) A Guide to Allyship and Why "All Cops Are
- Bastards" How to Support During the Black Lives Matter Movement
- Fighting Anti-Blackness Resource List (Harvard University)
- Non-Optical Accompliceship Toolkit