Manage episode 272836998 series 2472378
On this episode of the en(gender)ed podcast, our guest is Kyl Myers, author of the book, Raising Them, a memoir on her journey in gender creative parenting and raising her child with the freedom to choose their own gender identity. We speak with Kyl today about raising her child, Zoomer Coyote, with her partner Brent, and her hopes, challenges, and joys in rejecting societal gender norms and expectations and carving out her own path of parenting.
During our conversation, Kyl and I referenced the following resources and topics:
- The gender unicorn and the differences between "sex" and "gender"
- Sasha and Storm, two children also raised without an assigned gender
- The hyper-gendering of children in the United States through clothes, toys, and other
- Our interview with Lisa Selin-Davis on her book "Tomboy: The Surprising History and Future of Girls Who Dare to Be Different”
- Elizabeth Sweet's research and work on gender disparities in children's media and toys
Thanks for tuning in to the en(gender)ed podcast!
Join our feminist community of survivors, advocates and allies!
Consider donating because your support is what makes this work sustainable.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show!