Manage episode 267660015 series 2456393
In this "Reflections" episode,Teri and Michael reflect back on episodes on the gendered impact of COVID-19: Episode 96: Laura Ramirez of Af3irm on decolonizing “sex work,” Episode 97: #SurvivorStories Series with “Carol” on parenting with an abuser during COVID-19, Episode 99: Martin Hultman on misogyny and masculinities on climate change denial, Episode 100: #SurvivorStories Series with Nicole Lee on domestic abuse with a disability, Episode 101: Nazir Afzal on COVID-19 or the coronavirus’ impact on domestic violence, Episode 102: Jen Kamel on COVID-19’s impact on pregnancy and reproductive rights, and Episode 108: Feminism in the Age of COVID-19 Conference on Domestic Violence.
During our conversation, Michael and I touched upon the following resources in our conversation:
- The difference between the Equality or Nordic Model and the full decriminalization model of prostitution
- The connection between masculinity and refusal to wear masks or masks as condoms of the face
- The "incel" community and recognition of their increasing threat to women and the planet
- Sexism and misogyny manifesting in "victim-blaming" culture
- The growing danger posed by right-wing terrorism as our greatest threat
- Southern Poverty Law Center's assessment of right-wing extremism and Trump's minimization of this threat
- New research that shows it's better to remove domestic violence perpetrators than victims
- The sexual abuse allegations plaguing the "Super Smash Brothers" gaming community
- Laws that contributed to mass incarceration
- Rates of mass incarceration by race in the US versus the UK
- Coercive control as a recognized crime in the UK
- Our interview with Indra Lusero of the National Advocates for Pregnant Women and how pregnancy and pregnancy outcomes can be used against women
- Our interview with Bethany Johnson and Maggie Quinlan on the history and construction of motherhood
Thanks for tuning in to the en(gender)ed podcast!
Join our feminist community of survivors, advocates and allies!
Consider donating because your support is what makes this work sustainable.
Don’t forget to subscribe to the show!