Manage episode 321015094 series 41400
It's been just short of 2 years since we had Julian Assange's father John, and Harry Halpin, on the show to chat about his imprisonment and the impact it could have on the crypto community. At that time it was unknown if/when Julian would be extradited to the US to face trial. On December 10 2021, the US government won its appeal of a British court ruling that barred Assange’s extradition to the US. On the very same day the AssangeDAO was born and now has a thriving community of 10k people behind it.
The DAO raised over $50 million and the funds were used to bid on an NFT, Clock, which is part of a collection between Assange and digital artist Pak. The bid was successful and proceeds from the sale of the Clock NFT will go to support Assange’s legal defence fund and awareness campaign about the free speech implications of his case.
We were joined by Julian's brother Gabriel, and Stellar Magnet, core contributors of the AssangeDAO. We spoke about Julian's case as it currently stands, how the DAO was born and why they chose to purchase the NFT, and the road ahead.
Topics covered in this episode:
- Julian Assange and his imprisonment from his involvement with Wikileaks
- The Assange DAO and why an NFT was purchased with the funds raised
- What are the next step options that the DAO is considering?
- Where to learn more about the Assange DAO
- How to contribute
- Episode 339 - What Julian Assange Represents to the Crypto Movement
- AssangeDAO site
- US based site
- UK based site
- AssangeDAO on Twitter
- Gabriel on Twitter
- Stellar on Twitter
- Chorus One: Chorus One runs validators on cutting edge Proof of Stake networks such as Cosmos, Solana, Celo, Polkadot and Oasis. - https://epicenter.rocks/chorusone
- ParaSwap: ParaSwap aggregates all major DEXs and makes sure you beat the market price at every single swap and with the lowest slippage - paraswap.io/epicenter
This episode is hosted by Friederike Ernst. Show notes and listening options: epicenter.tv/432