EFR 613: Robert Sikes Talks Natural Bodybuilding, Keto, Transforming Your Relationship With Food, and Addressing Diet Culture Controversies
Manage episode 332304560 series 1341947
Have you ever considered trying a trendy diet? Not sure if it’s right for you? Are you turned off by the controversy surrounding it? What is the best diet for bodybuilding and transforming your body?
Robert Sikes is a natural competitive bodybuilder and entrepreneur who attributes much of his health and wellness to adopting the ketogenic lifestyle. Although this diet isn’t for everyone, Robert gives us a valuable perspective on how diet and lifestyle can create a ripple effect of benefits in one’s life if done with intention, care, and commitment.
In this discussion, Robert and Chase talk about how the ketogenic diet has transformed Robert’s life in many ways, from bodybuilding to his relationships to entrepreneurship and more. He shares his candid thoughts on the controversy around the ketogenic diet, the psychology of eating and dieting, and important things you should know if you’re considering adopting a keto diet and lifestyle. Robert also talks about his new book, “Ketogenic Bodybuilding”, and where he thinks we have room to grow in the health and fitness industry.
Follow Robert Sikes @ketosavage
Follow Chase on Instagram @chase_chewning
Follow him on Twitter @chasechewning
- Robert sheds light on his history with dieting and disordered eating and how that has affected his mental health and OCD. He also shares about his discovery of the ketogenic diet and how that had positive effects on his mental and physical health, productivity, and his relationship with food.
- Since there’s immense controversy surrounding the keto diet, Robert talks about the various uses of the keto diet and how that has evolved over the years. “I think in 2017-2018 is when it really spiked… and since then, there’s been a massive influx of products and just marketing around the ketogenic diet, paling it as this miracle weight loss diet. There’s some truth to some of that marketing but a lot of it has been overly hyped for sure,” Robert says.
- Robert details his improvements in various health markers after going keto, as well as the power of combining research on diets and health trends with personal experimentation to come to your own conclusion.
- Want to test out the keto diet for yourself? Robert gives you this advice: Get some baseline panels done, take initial progress photos and measurements, get a composition scan done, and then try the keto diet for 3-6 months before making any conclusions. He also highlights the importance of tracking your progress and details how he maintains the keto lifestyle year-round.
- When you find a diet/lifestyle that makes you feel great mentally and physically (and is sustainable), you’re going to see tremendous changes in other areas of your life, like work/business and family life.