Manage episode 274966787 series 2363034
Welcome to episode 183 of the F-Stop Collaborate and Listen podcast. For the full show notes and a transcript, head to my blog.
This week on the podcast, I had a wonderful conversation with a photographer that I have long admired from afar. Ben Williamson hails from the state of Maine and has amassed a fantastic collection of what he mostly describes as "scenic" photography from New England. Whatever you want to call it, his work exudes passion and a love for where he lives. Ben works for Down East Magazine as a staff photographer and leads workshops.
Ben and I discuss some interesting topics this week, including:
- His journey into photography.
- What it is like working for a small regional magazine and how other photographers could think about collaborating with magazines local to them.
- Teaching photography and what Ben loves about it.
- How Ben has partnered with other photographers on his journey.
- How Ben includes man-made objects in his photography to make them more emotionally connective.
- How Ben balances shooting for himself vs. shooting to please others.
- ... and more!
Over on Patreon, this week, you can join over 100 of your peers in supporting the podcast financially and hear Ben and I talk about his obsession with weather and how he leverages that obsession to improve his photography.
I hope you enjoy our conversations.
Other items mentioned on the show:
2. My OnLandscape column.
Here are the photographers that Ben recommended on the podcast:
1. Jerry Monkman.
2. John Putnam.
4. Greta Rybus.
5. Jamie Walter.
6. Dave Dostie.