Manage episode 283042415 series 2801592
For those of you listening to the show for the first time, let me introduce myself. My name is Amanda and I live in the suburbs of Atlanta with my husband and two kids who are 4 and 2. I am currently training to become a childbirth education mentor and my goal of this show is to make the early days of parenting more connected. Please follow the show on Instagram @findingyourvillage to see more about birth, postpartum and parent mental health.
Today we are discussing the topic of how to find childcare, especially if you are a first time parent. My guest is Shannon Parola, who has spent the past 15 years as a career nanny, newborn care specialist, and now mom of a beautiful one year old baby girl. As a mom and childcare provider, she has a unique perspective and insight for parents and nannies. Due to COVID, she’s opened a Childcare Coaching service to help parents navigate the various childcare options available to them.
In this episode we discuss:
Things to discuss with your partner before baby arrives:
- What your childcare expectations are
- What your budget is
Two different ways to find a nanny:
- Research yourself, put out ads yourself and manage the interviews yourself
- Hire an agency (extra fees associated)
If you are going about it on your own, where to start looking:
Nannies vs. Daycares are like Apples and Oranges!
- Listen for Shannon’s fantastic analogy
- It often comes down to budget
Process for hiring a Nanny:
- Spell out your expectations in a job description: hours, pay, vacation time etc.
- Create an ad and post to the above areas to look
- Schedule and conduct interviews with applicants
- When you find someone that is a good fit, have them come over for a trial day or week
- Create a contract
How to get in touch with Shannon:
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/findingyourvillagepod?fan_landing=true)