Manage episode 291334779 series 2801592
In today’s episode I am kicking off the series about childbirth preparation classes. I am featuring a different type of birth education program each week in the month of May.
I had the privilege of interviewing Nikki Shaheed and she is a certified Trainer, Mentor, and Doula for Birthing from Within, as well as the author of Heart Centered Pregnancy Journal. Nikki is passionate about bringing balance and self-compassion to the childbearing year. She lives in San Antonio, TX with her husband and three amazing children.
In this episode we discuss:
Background of Birthing From Within
- Created by Pam England, who is the author of Birthing From Within
- Her birth experience led her to ask herself: what did I need to know as a mother that I didn’t know as a midwife?
- That question inspired her quest to find self compassion and a way to help people to have more realistic and holistic expectations before they give birth
What is the BFW "unmethod"?
- There is no way to get it wrong with Birthing From Within, it is not outcome based
- It is all about developing self love, self acceptance and doing what the moment calls for without being held back by conditioning or judgment
Words we use in birth
- The words we use are powerful and create imagery
- The term “natural childbirth” makes Cesarean or medicated birth seem “unnatural”
You cannot plan out your birth
- You can prepare for birth, but you cannot control birth outcomes
- Center preparation around the foundational concept that you are stepping into the unknown
- Nikki likes to call Birthing From Within the “self compassion buffet”
- Self compassion is the most important thing to pack in your birth bag
What will parents learn about childbirth, as well as themselves?
- Parents will learn the “nuts and bolts” of birth
- Stages of labor
- Common procedures that can occur during birth
- How to prepare the for the unknown
- Embodied experience that allows parents to practice figuring out what to do when they don’t know what to do
- Wise and compassionate mentor is there to encourage them to keep going
Emphasis on the postpartum journey is a big differentiator between Birthing From Within and other birth preparation programs
Find a Birthing From Within Birth Education Mentor
How to get in touch with/follow Nikki
How to get in touch with me:
- Follow me on Instagram
- Find other episodes at: www.findingyourvillagepod.com
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monthly Newsletter
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/findingyourvillagepod?fan_landing=true)