Manage episode 263714862 series 1923788
In lieu of this week's interview episode, I'm proudly participating in #PodcastBlackout to protest the murder of George Floyd, police brutality, racism, injustice, and inequality.
I've spent the last few days going back and forth about what I "SHOULD" post this week and what type of episode I "SHOULD" create.
This concern about doing the "right thing" and awareness of my own image is one of the core issues of performative activism. It's ineffective and unsustainable.
In my effort to transition from "not racist" to "anti-racist" I'm focusing on what I CAN do to contribute, as a white person and ally, and making it less about how I'll be perceived if I make mistakes along the way.
Instead of spending this week learning about flexible work, I hope you’ll take the time to educate yourself and identify what you can uniquely contribute to the #BlackLivesMatter movement. This episode contains 6 actions I'm taking and resources I'm leveraging this week to help unlearn and become a better ally to the Black community.
Links to Resources:
- Trevor Noah (The Daily Show) IGTV on Looting
- Shine Brighter Together Podcast with Monique Melton
- Black Lives Matter Petition (Release of Covid-19 Racial Data)
- Netflix Self Made (Mini Series) on Madam C.J. Walker
- Black Owned Shopify E-Commerce Stores
- Books: White Fragility and The Book of Negroes
- White Privilege Conversation Starters and Journal Prompts
- Cheryl's Anti-Racism and Unlearning Resources
- Cheryl's Business Please Notes
About the show:
✨ Freedom Lifestyle is an online community and podcast series that empowers the movement towards flexible work. Sam Laliberte interviews remote workers, digital nomads and self-employed people who've pursued a lifestyle that allows them to work from anywhere. Sam discovers their version of the Freedom Lifestyle, learn how they got there and reflect on the impact its had. ✨