Manage episode 280060978 series 2355391
In today’s episode we’re talking about the upcoming holiday season, known as the ‘silly season’ for some, and how to best approach it to get the most out of your training.
For some athletes, they’ll come out the other side of Christmas and New Year ahead, with a flying start into 2021. For others, they will come out further behind.
What we covered:
- How does Gerard personally approach this period?
- What Gerard recommends depending on the athlete
- You’ve got a lot more time on your hands, but how do you avoid overtraining?
- Is there too much pressure around this period? Shouldn’t you just enjoy it?
- How to handle a testing period if it falls in the Christmas week
- The Donnelly family tradition on Christmas
- Thinking about the consequences of your goals; don’t pick an extreme goal post covid
- Why you don’t need to FLOG yourself every session
With races on the calendar very quickly on the other side of the New Year, for some athletes it couldn’t be more important to get this period right.
P.S On next week's episode it will be our final episode of the year where we review the 12 lessons of Christmas, 12 things we’ve learned from 2020 that we can take into 2021. We did this last year and there were some really powerful and valuable lessons to take!
If you want to learn how to TRAIN SMARTER and RACE FASTER, you can join our weekly email, just go to: getfastpodcast.com
The Get Fast Podcast is brought to you by TriVelo Coaching, where we help triathletes and cyclists like you, Train Smarter to Race Faster. You are joined as always by your hosts, Australian Triathlon Ironman Champion and HEAD COACH of TriVelo Coaching Gerard Donnelly, and his son Jordan Donnelly.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.