Manage episode 302708894 series 2355391
We know that training adaptation doesn’t actually occur in the training session, but instead in your recovery from a session. That’s why you couldn’t just do a hard session every day and expect to improve.
Your body needs time to recover and adapt in order to get the training benefits.
BUT, so much emphasis is placed on the training sessions themselves, what about how to do recovery well?
What do you need to focus on when it’s time to recover?
How would you like to make sure you’re giving your body the best chance at optimal recovery and maximum growth from training?
Keys to the episode:
- You can’t have a training program without a race plan
- How long can you sustainably hold form for
- What to do if you’re losing form
- The psychological benefit of recovery
- What happens if you don’t recover properly
- Should you have a “deload” week every 2, 3 or 4 weeks?
- What does “keep your hard sessions hard” mean
- How to assess how tired you are
- Do the most common recovery interventions actually have evidence behind them?
- The recovery benefit of massage
- Do recovery boots or compression garments actually work?
- The two recovery factors that have a mountain of evidence behind them
- Our favourite low intensity recovery method
- An exercise physiologists perspective of how to measure your recovery
The Get Fast Podcast is brought to you by TriVelo Coaching, where we help triathletes and cyclists like you, Train Smarter to Race Faster. Your hosts are Australian Triathlon Ironman Champion and HEAD COACH of TriVelo Coaching Gerard Donnelly, and his son Jordan Donnelly.
If you want to learn how to TRAIN SMARTER and RACE FASTER, you can join our weekly coaching email, just go to: getfastpodcast.com
Some of you might already be in there, but many of you won’t be and so this is our official invitation for you to come and join our free community: www.facebook.com/groups/trivelocoaching
Check us out on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trivelocoaching/
Want access to Gerard's Famous Monthly Coaching Newsletter?
Disclaimer: The Content in this podcast is in no way intended to be medical advice, treatment or diagnoses. None of our Content is intended to imply that any products mentioned, remedies or information provided are intended to prevent, diagnose, cure or alleviate a disease, ailment, defect or injury or should be used for therapeutic purposes. The Content is intended to assist you with running, cycling, swimming or triathlon and should not be substituted for medical advice by your healthcare professional. We do not accept any liability for any injury, loss, or damage incurred by the use or reliance on our Content.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.