Manage episode 246338735 series 2459098
Page Glave was a tenured Associate Professor of Kinesiology with a focus in exercise science and was successful in her field. However she came to the realization that she can't see herself doing this for the rest of her life. This is her story. She offers lots of great advice on resume tips when switching, homelabs, certifications, and how she was able to break into the field.
I am an analyst, project manager, ethical hacker, and tech consultant with more than 10 years’ experience with research and project management. I spent awhile in higher education – long enough to get tenure and decide it was time to do something else. I have eJPT (eLearnSecurity Junior Penetration Tester), Security+ and Splunk User certifications. I love learning and tech, so digging into all of this stuff just makes me happy.
- 5 Months in to her first security job!
- Being in a small environment, she gets to do everything from governance to pentesting.
- Previous to this she was a tenured associate professor in kinesiology with a focus on biomechanics and obesity.
- "Pretty big adventure on a daily basis because no day is the same."
- "Really is an environment where security is everyone's job."
- "I think I'll always be in-house tech support for as long as I live." [7:08]
- "I kinda got bored… I didn't want to keep doing something that wasn't challenging." [7:28]
- "Do I really want to do this for the next 30 years?" [7:58]
- "…going through the headers, that should have been a clue that maybe tech would have been a good fit for me."
- "You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in Information Security who was just thrilled with their budgets."
- "Being able to translate that self-directed learning to something on my resume."
Brakeing Down Security Podcast: https://www.brakeingsecurity.com/
Pacific Hacker's Conference: https://phack.org/
Sam Bowne's Class: https://samsclass.info/
Marco Palacios: https://twitter.com/MPalacios_Cyber
Keirsten Brager: https://twitter.com/KeirstenBrager
Getting Into Infosec:
Follow Me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/coffeewithayman
Subscribe To YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg6gV_gdfc188HZdN8LUx4A
Sign up for updates and commentary: https://mailchi.mp/467573a314e5/gettingintoinfosec