Manage episode 308399359 series 2914311
Show notes and links: https://www.valuecapturellc.com/he56
In today's episode, our guest is Dr. Donna Prosser, the Chief Clinical Officer for the Patient Safety Movement Foundation, an organization that Value Capture is proud to partner with, given our shared interests in improving healthcare.
Donna has been in the healthcare industry for more than 30 years and is currently the Chief Clinical Officer at the Patient Safety Movement Foundation. She spent the first fifteen years of her career at the bedside and transitioned into administration after a personal experience helped her to understand just how fragmented and unsafe patient care can be. This experience ignited a passion to improve healthcare quality and safety in her that continues to burn to this day.
She previously worked as a healthcare consultant, helping organizations across the United States and previously had leadership roles and/or clinical roles at Martin Health System, Carteret Health Care, and the Washington Hospital Center.
Dr. Prosser received a Doctorate in Nursing Practice at the University of Central Florida, a Master of Science in Nursing at Duke University, and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing at George Mason University.
In the episode, Donna discusses efforts to improve patient safety and healthcare quality — and her personal motivations for doing so — with our host, Mark Graban. topics and questions include:
- What inspired you to get so involved in patient safety? A personal experience...
- How can we help advocates and patients be partners and not adversarial?
- Two stories — helped STOP the errors
- Fixing errors vs. focusing on culture, systems, etc.
- Fragmented care, system issues -- or systemless?
- Covid era - lack of visitation, impact on errors??
- What’s the scale of the problem? It’s been 20+ years since To Err is Human… is it getting better?? Are we seeing results?
- Goal of Zero Harm by 2030? How do we get there?
- Making a commitment to zero harm
- PATIENT AIDER app
- PSMF resources that can help?
- Coaching support for organizations that commit to zero harm
- Creating a foundation for safe and reliable care
- Previous episode with Dr. David Mayer, former CEO of the Foundation