Manage episode 265860661 series 2464243
In a freewheeling discussion that can't help but address J.K. Rowling's recent transphobic comments, we also tackle the need for critical fandom, as well as Chamber of Secrets’ fat phobia and obsession with blood purity.
Also on the table: Why Gilderoy Lockhart is an obvious villain in the Rowling tradition and speculation about his real reason for joining Hogwart’s as the Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher.
Plus: how to define Easter Eggs (they're not synonymous with retconning!), how magic resembles close readings and and why we should appreciate the film's set design - and Jason Isaacs - more.
Here is a brief (incomplete list) of trans and non-binary authors to support:
- Ronnie Mandias: Runebound
- Sara Codair: The Evanstar Chronicles
- Everett Maroon: The Unintentional Time Traveler
- April Daniels: Dreadnought
- Aiden Thomas: Cemetery Boys
- Kai Cheng Thom: Fierce Femmes
- Ivan Coyote: Rebent Sinner
- Mason Deaver: I Wish You All The Best
- Fox Benwell: Kaleidoscope Song; and finally
- The Gayly Prophet Podcast
And search #BlackTransLivesMatter #BlackTransCrowdfund #BlackDisabledLivesMatter hashtags and donate to CanadaHelps.org
Wanna connect with the show? Use #HKHSPod on Twitter:
- Brenna: @brennacgray
- Joe: @bstolemyremote
- Hannah: @hkpmcgregor
Have something longer to say or a minisode topic? Email us at email@example.com. See you on the page and on the screen!