144: How to Prevent Unintentional Audience Abuse: The Difference Between Presentation & Facilitation
Manage episode 323421370 series 2914144
Keith Bailey is the Founder, Facilitator and StoryConnecter at Articulated Intelligence. He has found different ways to make sure that your audience cares about what you are talking about. With the great power of public speaking comes the great responsibility of making sure your audience is invested. He sits down with host Molly McGrath to share his tips on how to keep your audience involved and vested into your speech.
- The audience always wants the speaker in a podcast or at a conference to succeed. When you use to many “ums” or other filler words, you unintentionally commit “audience abuse”
- Avoid just delivering facts and figures. The audience wants to hear stories, it’s how they connect and relate with the speaker.
- You exclude 80% of the audience if you only do facts and statistics from a powerpoint slide. Take a simple story and tie the data to it.
- You don’t have to share a story that paints you in a bad or embarrassing way to get the audience to understand, you just need to meet them on their level.
- Audience participation is critical. Whether it is a hand raise or anything else, they then have a vested interest in discussion.
- Taking a 3 second pause can create a massive difference in a speech. It is one of the most engaging things you can do in a speech and creates suspension.
- A good test to see how well your doing is seeing how many people are on their devices. You want to make sure that you are keeping them interested.
Quote of the Show:
7:22 “There is a misnomer of having to be vulnerable and share a story that paints me in a bad light. We know that the person that controls the narrative controls the outcome.”
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/developing-impactful-leaders-through-public-speaking/
- Website: https://www.articulated-intelligence.com/
- Using Your Virtual Background: https://www.articulated-intelligence.com/VirtualBackgrounds
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music - https://www.amazon.com/Hiring-and-Empowering-Solutions/dp/B08JJSLJ7N
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hiring-and-empowering-solutions/id1460184599
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3oIfsDDnEDDkcumTCygHDH
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vMTc4MTM2L3Jzcw
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/hiring-and-empowering-solutions