Manage episode 330560447 series 2914144
Karly Wannos is the Managing Partner of The Wannos Law Firm, PA. She is also the host of “The Employment Experience” podcast, where Karly talks about workplace solutions for HR and businesses. Karly joins host Molly McGrath to talk about properly terminating employees and handling work at will employees.
- A lot of states are “at will” employment states, which means you can fire an employee at any time for any reason or no reason at all but it can’t be in violation of the law.
- A decrease in pay or failure to promote an employee properly can be used in a retaliation claim by a fired employee.
- In terms of employment cases, it often comes down to a “he said, she said” situation and you can avoid that by having documented evidence.
- When it comes to calling in sick, make sure you actually pick up the phone and call or send an email, do not send a text.
- It is on the employer to provide reasonable accommodations to the employee to do their job if they have a disability.
- You don’t necessarly have to send a rejection letter for legal purposes, but if you do you want to make sure you aren’t during someone away because of discriminatory reasons.
- When hiring people, make sure they understand the potential hire understands what is expected of them in terms of the job hours and what they will do.
Quote of the Show:
8:12 “Documentation is so important and that's because in employment cases, it's a lot of he said, she said.”
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/karlywannos/
- Website: https://www.karlywannos.com/
- Podcast: https://www.buzzsprout.com/1744404
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music - https://www.amazon.com/Hiring-and-Empowering-Solutions/dp/B08JJSLJ7N
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hiring-and-empowering-solutions/id1460184599
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3oIfsDDnEDDkcumTCygHDH
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vMTc4MTM2L3Jzcw
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/hiring-and-empowering-solutions