Manage episode 330965687 series 2914144
Jotham Stein is the Principal of the Law Offices at Jotham Stein. He has more than 25 years of experience representing everyone from CEO to lower level employees at a company. He’s also the author of “Negotiate like a CEO”. Jotham encourages every employee to protect yourself in employment wherever you can. Jotham joins host Molly McGrath to talk about how employees can think and negotiate similar to a CEO.
- The most important thing is to negotiate and think like a CEO. Most CEOs have protective agreements to negotiate with the board to get severance if they get fired.
- You want to think ahead and plan for the worst but hope for the best. Protect yourself if possible.
- There are many companies that are older that have plans for what to give an employee once they are fired, but younger companies don’t have that.
- Go into every situation with your eyes wide open. Find out everything they can about a company so you know what the company is really like.
- If you have leverage, use that to negotiate something to protect yourself in case you don’t stay at the company.
- It costs time, energy and money to hire and train someone. Sometimes managers don’t want someone at a company so they don’t train them properly but if the subordinate is well coached and respected they will go and get a job somewhere else.
- When it comes to the interview process, you want to make sure that you keep your emotions in check as that can be a negative or positive reflection on the person.
Quote of the Show:
5:14 “The most important thing that you can do as the new employee, whether they're at the newbie level where they've just gotten out of college, all the way up to the C-suite level and to the CEO, is to negotiate and think like the CEO.”
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jotham-stein-bb441a5/
- Book Link: https://www.amazon.com/Negotiate-Like-CEO-Entrepreneurs-Executives/dp/1895131596#:~:text=A%20lively%2C%20engaging%20read%2C%20Negotiate,t%20get%20taken%20advantage%20of.
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music - https://www.amazon.com/Hiring-and-Empowering-Solutions/dp/B08JJSLJ7N
- Apple Podcast - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/hiring-and-empowering-solutions/id1460184599
- Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/3oIfsDDnEDDkcumTCygHDH
- Google Podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cDovL2ZlZWRzLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vMTc4MTM2L3Jzcw
- Stitcher - https://www.stitcher.com/show/hiring-and-empowering-solutions