Manage episode 302959320 series 1348711
In this episode of the Idea to Value podcast, we speak with David Schonthal, a Clinical Professor of Innovation & Entrepreneurship at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
See the full episode at https://wp.me/p6pllj-1Fz
#innovation #designthinking #ideas
He teaches courses in new venture creation, design thinking, business acquisition, healthcare entrepreneurship, corporate innovation and creativity. He is also the author of the new book The Human Element: Overcoming the Resistance That Awaits New Ideas with his co-author Loran Nordgren.Topics covered in this episode:
- 00:01:45 - What were the forces standing in the way of good ideas?
- 00:02:30 - The four frictions which prevent innovation: Inertia, Effort, Emotion, Reactance
- 00:05:00 - People trying to develop innovations usually do not think of the frictions, they just think of fuels
- 00:07:15 - Inertia: Human beings are creatures of habit and resist change
- 00:10:30 - Finding out the real frictions and perceived value drivers using ethnographic research
- 00:14:00 - The need to make people feel familiar with unfamiliar ideas
- 00:19:00 - Examples of frictions being universal, as exemplified by the animal kingdom
- 00:21:30 - Case studies of companies that are succeeding with removing frictions instead of adding fuel
- Human Element Book: https://www.humanelementbook.com/
- David's faculty page: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/faculty/directory/schonthal_david.aspx
This episode was made possible by our premium innovation and creativity training. Take your innovation and creativity capabilities to the next level by investing in yourself now, at https://www.ideatovalue.com/all-access-pass-insider-secrets/
* Subscribe on iTunes to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/idea-to-value-creativity-innovation/id1199964981?mt=2
* Subscribe on Spotify to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://open.spotify.com/show/4x1kANUSv7UJoCJ8GavUrN
* Subscribe on Stitcher to the Idea to Value Podcast: http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=129437&refid=stpr
* Subscribe on Google Podcasts to the Idea to Value Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9pZGVhdG92YWx1ZS5saWJzeW4uY29tL3Jzcw
Want to rapidly validate new ideas and innovative products and GROW your online business?
These are the tools I actually use to run my online businesses (and you can too):
* The best email management and campaigns system: ActiveCampaign (Free Trial) http://www.activecampaign.com/?_r=M17NLG2X * Best value web hosting: BlueHost WordPress http://www.activecampaign.com/?_r=M17NLG2X * Landing pages, Sales Pages and Lead collection: LeadPages (Free Trial) http://leadpages.pxf.io/c/1385771/390538/5673 * Sharing & List building: Sumo (Free) https://sumo.com/?src=partner_ideatovalue * Payments, Shopping Cart, affiliate management and Upsell generator: ThriveCart https://improvides--checkout.thrivecart.com/thrivecart-standard-account/ * Video Webinars for sales: WebinarJam and Everwebinar ($1 Trial) https://nickskillicorn.krtra.com/t/lwIBaKzMP1oQ * Membership for protecting content: Membermouse (Free Trial) http://affiliates.membermouse.com/idevaffiliate.php?id=735 * eLearning System for students: WP Courseware https://flyplugins.com/?fly=293 * Video Editing: Techsmith Camtasia http://techsmith.z6rjha.net/vvGPv
I have used all of the above products myself to build IdeatoValue and Improvides, which is why I can confidently recommend them. I may also receive affiliate payments for any business I bring to them using the links above.