Manage episode 307809488 series 1294742
Tom Bilyeu is shaking up multiple industries on his way to impact a billion brains in the Universe! Boy, was this a fun interview to do! Tom runs a legit film studio out of his house and I was delighted to be connected to him via my friend Danny Miranda. Tom did not disappoint. We discussed his epic careers -- he's now on at least his third incarnation after founding Quest Nutrition (and selling it for a billion dollars!), then starting a multimillion subscriber YouTube Channel / media empire called "Impact Theory", and now as a creator and evangelist for NFT's.
We discuss his journey. We discussed the scientific method and I enjoyed his take on being an experimenter -- though he did not agree to change the name of his channel to "Impact Experiment" despite my pleas! Lastly, I found our discussion of finding meaning without children particularly touching. Tom's as honest and earnest as they come. I found that all the more refreshing given the status, wealth, and power he's made alongside his wife and partner for life, in business and life, Lisa.
- Regrets in life?
- What’s wealth for? Can’t just be for Lambos and Yachts!
- What’s the most precious resource?
- How to stay hungry?
- How to know when money success leads to drinking your Kool Aid?
- Why pivot to NFT instead of sticking to becoming the next Walt Disney?
- Entropy and the physics of happiness:
Audible is hands-down my favorite platform for consuming podcasts, fiction and nonfiction books! With an Audible membership, you can download titles and listen offline, anytime, anywhere. The Audible app is free and can be installed on all smartphones and tablets. You can listen across devices without losing your spot. Audible members don’t have to worry about using their credits right away. You can keep your credits for up to a year—and use them to binge on a whole series if you’d like! And if you’re not loving your selection, you can simply swap it for another.Start your free 30-day trial today: Audible.com/impossible or text “impossible” to 500-500
- 00:00:00 Intro
- 00:00:51The Origin of Quest Nutrition
- 00:01:47 What is your rubric and how is it similar to the scientific method?
- 00:02:00 How do you know when to pivot?
- 00:05:05 Can too much knowledge be an inhibitor to financial success? The paradox of teaching Vs doing.
- 00:08:54 What is the purpose of wealth?
- 00:13:46 To parent or not? Passing on legacy, optimizing for joy and impact.
- 00:25:52 Tom's interview styles and techniques.
- 00:28:40 Finding synergies with creative disruption.
- 00:32:51 On NFTs and moments of disruption.
- 00:40:54 What blockchain/NFT strategy is there for creators/scientists to capture value?
- 00:43:13 Tom's theory of the "ownership" neuron.
- 00:47:44 Proof of work, tangibles versus blockchain and NFTs.
- 00:53:11 Hunger to know why and where you're wrong!
- 00:53:32 What would you put on your billion-year time capsule?
- 00:55:43 What advice would you give to your younger self to go into the impossible?
- 00:56:58 You can't make a racehorse out of a pig, but you can make a really fast pig!
📺 Watch my most popular videos:📺
- A New Contender is Here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6A6myur--c
- Frank Wilczek https://youtu.be/3z8RqKMQHe0?sub_confirmation=1
- Weinstein and Wolfram https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI0AZ4Y4Ip4?sub_confirmation=1
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about sponsoring Into the Impossible.
Be my friend:
🏄♂️ Twitter: https://twitter.com/DrBrianKeating
✍️Detailed Blog posts here: https://briankeating.com/blog.php
🎙️Listen on audio-only platforms: https://briankeating.com/podcast.php
- A production of http://imagination.ucsd.edu/
- Support the podcast: https://www.patreon.com/drbriankeating
- Produced by Brian Keating and Stuart Volkow
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices