Manage episode 283693240 series 2499002
On this episode of the Japan Station podcast, Tony Vega talks to Kevin O'Shea, host of the Just Japan Podcast, about the unique experience he had in 2020 when he got stuck in Japan due to the coronavirus pandemic.About Kevin O'Shea
Kevin O'Shea is a content creator, educator, and longtime resident of Japan. Aside from producing over 200 episodes of the Just Japan Podcast, Kevin is also known for his work on YouTube and various podcasts and blogs. His latest podcast is called the Munzee Maniacs Podcast and is about the mobile game Munzee.Topics Discussed
- When and why Kevin lived in Kobe
- Life on Kobe's Port Island
- Some places to visit in Kobe
- The nice and convenient aspects of living in Kobe
- Working at an international school in Japan
- Working as a teacher in Japan versus working in other countries
- How many international schools in Asia outside of Japan are offering better salaries and benefits than those in Japan
- The intangible allure of Japan
- Living in Beijing and having to deal with air pollution
- Living and working as a teacher in Shenzhen, China
- The benefits of lifing and working in rural Japan as opposed to cities
- Being in China during the start of the COVID19 global pandemic
- The regulations put in place in China during the beginning of 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic
- Deciding to leave China and go back to Japan in February of 2020
- Arriving in Japan during early 2020 before entry restrictions and quarantines were put into place
- The challenges Kevin faced when trying to get back to China during the pandemic
- What Kevin had to go through in order to enroll his kids in school in Osaka
- Arriving and quarantining in Shenzhen, China during the coronavirus pandemic
- Dealing with internet trolls
- Kevin's first podcast: Looks Like Canada
- Kevin's decision to start the Just Japan Podcast
- The Making Better Teachers Podcast
- Kevin's interest in geocaching and the mobile game Munzee
- What Munzee is
- The Munzee Maniacs Podcast
- Kevin's interest in nature photography
- And much more!
If you enjoy Japan Station and want to ensure that we're able to produce more episodes, then please consider becoming a patron on Patreon.com. For a minimum pledge of $1 a month you'll get early access to all JapanKyo podcasts, bonus content, and more. And for $3 a month, you'll get access to Japanese Plus Alpha, a podcast produced by me (Tony Vega) that focuses on the Japanese language and all of its fascinating quirks. Also, all pledges get a shout-out on the show and my undying gratitude. Thank you in advance!
Here's all the social media channels you can find Kevin O'Shea on.
To listen to the Munzee Maniacs Podcast, look it up on your podcast app of choice or use the links below.
- Munzee Maniacs Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Munzee Maniacs Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Munzee Maniacs Podcast on Spotify
You can find the Just Japan Podcast on just about any podcast platform. If you would like to check it out, you can use the links below.
- Just Japan Podcast on Apple Podcasts
- Just Japan Podcast on Google Podcasts
- Just Japan Podcast on Stitcher
To check out the latest episode of Ichimon Japan, use the link below.
- What is the best Japanese name for a bear that isn’t actually a bear? (About Hole Bears, Bag Bears & More) | Ichimon Japan 35
To get your own "tree climbing bag bear" t-shirt, use the link below. T-shirt sales are used to help fund this show and other JapanKyo.com projects.
Opening/Closing song: Oedo Controller (大江戸コントローラー) by Yunomi featuring Toriena (Used with permission from Yunomi) To listen to more of Yunomi's music, check out his Soundcloud page or YouTube channel.
Japan Station cover art: Provided by Erik R.
Featured image: Courtesy of Donna Burke
Featured image: Courtesy of Kevin O'SheaFollow Japankyo on Social Media