51. Keto Insanity, Healthcare, Gender Issues, Bad Parenting, Happiness, Potatoes & More Potatoes | Richard Nikoley
Manage episode 221022852 series 1435983
Not for the faint of hearts, this podcast critically analyzes the problems with commercialization and myths around the ketogenic or low carb diet while talking about various controversial topics ranging from raising children, parenting, gender issues, healthcare and manipulating reality and promoting false narratives on social media. We wrap it up with a philosophical converation about what drives long term happiness and the pros and cons of modern consumerism.
Richard Nikoley is the brain behind the blog “Free The Animal”(freetheanimal.com) which began in 2003 and as of 2018 has 4600 posts and 110,000 comments from readers. He covers a range of topics from health, diet and lifestyle to philosophy, social issues and cryptocurrency. He celebrates the audacity and hubris to live by your own exclusive authority and take your own chances in life. Free the Animal really means to free yourself to reach your best potential in all areas of your life, learn from mistakes and successes, and move on.
0:15 – Ketogeek Intro
9:08 – How did you get into health, nutrition and writing?
12:50 – “Richard Nikoley’s Ketotard Chronicles”
14:09 – Influencers you’ve found helpful in your diet journey
17:10 – Discussion on fat intake and problems with consuming isolated sources of fat
22:41 – The “All Potato Diet” and getting into deeper ketosis using it
24:21 – Problem with pushing specific macronutrients and concerns with pushing protein satiety
29:19 – Failure of using keto macro percentages for fat loss, gaining weight on keto and criticisms towards commercialization of ketogenic diets
33:01 – Potential dishonesty among affiliate marketers and influencers
36:38 – Discussion about food forms, processing, food combinations and moving beyond macronutrients
40:44 – How fat can impact glucose and insulin as well
42:08 – The curious case of nuts, calories and satiety
48:48 – A conversation about gender and hostility between men and women in society
52:19 – Issues with pushing free healthcare
58:00 – Parenting and challenges of being a male or female at our current times
1:02:15 – Manipulating social media pictures and misrepresentation of reality
1:06:29 – Discussion about fat acceptance and fat shaming
1:12:40 – Conversation about drawing the line between rights of parenting and child abuse
1:17:35 – Does human innovation and money buy you happiness?
1:22:07 – Is happiness dependent on ourselves or comparison with others?
1:24:50 – Why consumerism is a double-edged sword
1:30:30 – Final Plugs
- Website: http://freetheanimal.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/rnikoley
- Richard Nikoley's Ketotard Chronicles: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ketotarded/
- Richard Nikoley Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.nikoley
- Shop Energy Pods Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ketogeek-Chocolate-Energy-Organic-Vanilla/dp/B07B88S36J
- Ketogeek Ghee on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B29HM3D
- Ketogeek Merchandise, Ghee & Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections
- Ketogeek Newsletter: https://ketogeek.com/pages/sign-up
- Shop Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections/energy-pods
- Wholesale: https://ketogeek.com/pages/wholesale
- Book: "Wired To Eat" by Robb Wolf
- Book: "The Hungry Brain" by Stephan Guyenet