56. Applications of Biotech & Challenges of Science Communication on Social Media | Dr. Kathleen Hefferon
Manage episode 236452948 series 1435983
In this informative episode, we discuss why we have many discrepancies and issues between science and the public interpretation of science through modern social media while talking about applications of biotech in the modern world, especially pertaining to human health outcomes and improving agriculture.
Kathleen Hefferon received her Ph.D. from the Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto and completed her postdoctoral fellowship at Cornell University. Kathleen has published multiple research papers, chapters, and reviews, and has written three books. Kathleen is the Fulbright Canada Research Chair of Global Food Security and has been a visiting professor at the University of Toronto over the past year. Her research interests include virus expression vectors, food security agricultural biotechnology and global health. Kathleen lives in New York with her husband and two children.
0:15: Ketogeek mindset, updates, and product information
9:45: Dr. Kathleen’s story
11:46: Traveling abroad and her recent educational trip to Botswana
14:38: Issues with lack of women in livestock farming in Botswana
15:45: Traditional healing in Botswana
18:58: Potential applications of GMOs and drought-resistant plants in Africa
21:36: What challenges do you face when applying new technology in a developing country?
25:53: How did you end up engaging people on social media on scientific and controversial topics such as GMOs and glyphosate
38:04: Ambiguity in science and problems with establishing causality with certain chemicals
42:52: Why don’t many scientists engage with the public through social media and podcasting
50:49: What’s the biggest anti-GMO argument you hear?
55:50: Problem with science communication in the modern world
58:02: Kathleen’s research on using transgenic plants to produce vaccines
1:03:36: What are “plant virus nanoparticles”?
1:07:50: What are the potentials and limitations of transgenic derived vaccines?
1:10:31: Where did chemophobia originate from in the modern world?
1:18:33 Concerns with food wastage in developed and developing countries
1:21:50: Potential applications of GM crops for sequestering carbon and help with climate change
1:25:25: Given a billion dollars, what study would you do?
1:27:17: Final message and plugs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KHefferon
- Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Kathleen_Hefferon
- Personal Link: https://micro.cornell.edu/people/kathleen-hefferon/
- Shop Energy Pods Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ketogeek-Chocolate-Energy-Organic-Vanilla/dp/B07B88S36J
- Ketogeek Ghee on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B29HM3D
- Ketogeek Merchandise, Ghee & Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections
- Ketogeek Newsletter: https://ketogeek.com/pages/sign-up
- Shop Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections/energy-pods
- Wholesale: https://ketogeek.com/pages/wholesale