59. Revisiting the Risk Factors Influencing Heart Disease & Discussing Modern Healthcare | Dr. Ethan Weiss
Manage episode 239612711 series 1435983
In this rapid-fire and powerful podcast, we talk about what constitutes as heart disease and the discussion around the risk factors that contribute towards heart disease. We touch basis on concerns with fats and even delve into processed foods, pharmaceutical industry and the challenges of our modern health care system. This one is LOADED!
Dr. Ethan Weiss is a Principle Investigator in the Cardiovascular Research Institute (CVRI). Dr. Weiss received his M.D. from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine where he also completed his internship and residency. He came to UCSF in 1998 to complete his cardiology fellowship and research training. Dr. Weiss' clinical interests include prevention, lipids, and the emerging intersection of endocrinology and cardiology with a specific focus on pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes as risk factors for coronary disease. In addition, he has interests in the genetics of coronary disease, cardiovascular risk assessment, nutrition and lifestyle, and heart disease in the young. He works with his patients to use rational and evidence-based approaches - including lifestyle modifications and where necessary, drug therapy - to improve cardiovascular risk. His research interests are focused on understanding the mechanisms of metabolic disorders such as obesity, fatty liver disease, and diabetes including the role of growth hormone signaling and lipid metabolism. He also has an active program in clinical nutrition. He has severed as Principle Investigator on grants funded by the National Heart Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI) and National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK). He serves on the scientific advisory boards of multiple companies focused on using technology to favorably impact human health. Lastly, he is a recent co-founder of, Keyto Inc. (www.getkeyto.com), a new San Francisco based company aiming to facilitate the use of the ketogenic diet for weight loss.
0:15 – Ketogeek Energy Pods, Affiliate Program Update & Miscellaneous
12:55 – Dr. Weiss’s journey into Cardiology and being a jack of all trades
17:59 – What exactly is “heart disease”?
21:10 – Risk factors and modeling of heart disease
23:12 – How can you map out heart disease from observational and controlled trials?
25:25 – A discussion about LDL cholesterol
31:35 – The role of triglycerides in the risk of heart disease
34:46 - If you could take one diet with you, what would it be?
38:28 – What about concerns with seed oils?
40:50 – What about concerns with saturated fats?
43:57 – How to deal with sensationalist media scares about food?
49:03 – How would we deal with modern foods consumer demands such as vegan meats?
51:30 – Are we getting healthier?
54:03 – What about statins and the allegations against the drug industry?
59:33 – How do you find a health specialist nowadays?
1:02:17 – What does “Keyto” do?
1:0 3:55 – New studies you’re doing right now?
1:06:55 – Final Plugs
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ethanjweiss
- UCSF Link: https://profiles.ucsf.edu/ethan.weiss
- Get Keyto Website: https://shop.getkeyto.com/
- Get Keyto Twitter: https://twitter.com/GetKeyto
- Keyto Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keyto.health/
- Shop Energy Pods Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ketogeek-Chocolate-Energy-Organic-Vanilla/dp/B07B88S36J
- Ketogeek Ghee on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B29HM3D
- Ketogeek Merchandise, Ghee & Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections
- Ketogeek Newsletter: https://ketogeek.com/pages/sign-up
- Shop Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections/energy-pods
- Wholesale: https://ketogeek.com/pages/wholesale