Manage episode 256845899 series 1435983
In food, health, nutrition and many domains of life, humans rely on "nature" or "natural" as the default and sometimes the best option. In this podcast, we talk about when it's ok to defer to nature and when it is time to move away from it.
Alan Levinovitz is an Associate Professor of Religion at James Madison University, where he specializes in classical Chinese thought and the intersection of religion and science. His latest book is Natural: How Faith in Nature's Goodness Leads to Harmful Fads, Unjust Laws, and Flawed Science, forthcoming on April 7 from Beacon Press
0:15 – Update on Energy Pod, Ketogeek Membership Updates & Future Guest
7:07 – How did you end up becoming a successful writer?
8:01 – What is your viewpoint on “nature” and “natural”?
11:02 – When should you rely on nature and when should you move away from it?
14:14 – Why do people think natural is better?
16:15 – Does religion play a role in our preference for nature?
18:00 – Subjective human experience versus objective quantification?
20:01 – What can people expect from the new book “Natural: How Faith in Nature's Goodness Leads to Harmful Fads, Unjust Laws, and Flawed Science”?
22:20 – What questions did you start with before writing this book and what questions would you like answered?
25:02 – Do human beings have the collective capacity to think in nuance?
28:00 – What checkmarks do you use to find someone worth following and learning from?
30:02 – Final Plugs
- Website: Personal Website
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/AlanLevinovitz
- Book: Natural: How Faith in Nature's Goodness Leads to Harmful Fads, Unjust Laws, and Flawed Science [Amazon] [Barnes & Noble]
- Book: The Gluten Lie
- Sign Up Ketogeek Membership: https://ketogeek.com/pages/member
- Shop Energy Pods Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ketogeek-Chocolate-Energy-Organic-Vanilla/dp/B07B88S36J
- Ketogeek Merchandise, Ghee & Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections
- Ketogeek Newsletter: https://ketogeek.com/pages/sign-up
- Shop Energy Pods: https://ketogeek.com/collections/energy-pods
- Wholesale: https://ketogeek.com/pages/wholesale