Manage episode 263683145 series 2533980
Instead of our usual exploration of visual storytelling and thinking about creative process, this week we have a brief yet important message to share.
Our message is that we’re here to love, care, and support our black community and do our best as non-BIPOC do to be better at helping more by listening, being affected, and committing to an ongoing active awareness and ongoing supportive action to get rid of systemic racism.
Black Lives Matter. The ongoing system of repression and discrimination must end. So much murder and death of black skinned people is such an obvious symptom of the discrimination. Murders by the police of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Atatiana Jefferson, and so many others.
We are in the midst of an uprising of super brave action from the black community. This is a place and time to dig in for systemic change.
Let’s make it all our job to end systemic racism. I’m looking at us white folks as I say this. People who are BIPOC have no choice but face that job.
Our work is to help one another become as strong as possible.
So then what are we/us two doing to help more and in better ways?
For Jerzy, that is:
- Following and supporting black artists, finding and supporting more businesses owned by people of color.
- Casting a wider net for guests and creative works to highlight.
- Donating more often, for this week that was donating to the Community Split Bail Fund.
- I will use my agency as a co-organizer for comics festivals to bring attention to diverse voices.
For Rob that is:
- Awareness and listening deeper: For years awareness and immediate attention on justice for the black community is an event. Occasional and inconsistent. Now I’m working make it an every day practice. Making it a real project to be continually informed black voices.
- With that, I follow more, listen more, read more, share more black voices in my feeds and media.
- Donating more often, for this week that was donating the Campaign Zero Project.
- Scheduled a recurring task for this evolving project in omnifocus app, that works for me as a habit to keep a project going.
Supporting, raising, celebrating voices that need to be heard like that of the black community must be an ongoing way of life.
Where you can, when you can, support black creators and causes. The black community has been forced to bear this systemic racism load every day for over 400 years. We are privileged because it’s a choice for us to face it. Let’s not forget that.
Let’s explore ways to bring in more diverse voices more often on the show. We want potential guests to reach out. Leanintoart.com/contact
We’re here to learn with all of you. What are you doing for your awareness, commitment, and ongoing action? Tell us your stories, comments, questions, thoughts (through our email, social feeds, contact form).
I know we’re in good company to make things better because Leaners aren’t weiners.
Brave protesters thank you, our society owes you.
Thank you all for listening and learning with us.
Love to you all. OK Bye.