Manage episode 269300817 series 1312800
The words you write help business owners sell their products or services like hotcakes. Word of mouth is starting to do its thing and you’ve got a waitlist of people dying to have you write copy for their emails, sales page, or website.
So how do you make sure you grow your copywriting business legally? Do you really need to form an LLC or get business insurance? And how do you make sure you’re protected when (not if!) your relationship with a client gets sticky?
In this episode, we’ll cover:
- How a solid proposal can really make or break a copywriting gig
- Why you really need both a proposal and a contract
- The essential information your contract should always include
- What a “pause clause” is and why you should consider including it in your contract
- How you can use ownership of rights to your work as leverage if you’re not getting paid
- The essential legal documents you need to be sure are on your website
- The must-have contract to use if you start growing your team with one or more independent contractors
- Whether you need to form an LLC or worry about insurance in your copywriting business
BONUS: If you’re starting something new, or this episode has spotlighted areas of your business that have you worried, now is a great time to make sure your business is in good shape legally. Download our free legal checklist to make sure your business has a strong legal foundation at www.awbfirm.com/podcast151!
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Episode 147 of the Legal Road Map® podcast for branding and graphic designers: www.awbfirm.com/podcast147
Client Proposal template: https://awbfirm.com/collections/all/products/client-proposal-template
Website documents bundle: https://awbfirm.com/collections/all/products/website-pages-bundle
Independent Contractor agreement template: https://awbfirm.com/collections/all/products/independent-contractor-contract-template
Creative Service Provider bundle: https://awbfirm.com/collections/all/products/creative-service-provider-bundle
Client Agreement contract template: https://awbfirm.com/collections/all/products/client-contract-template
This podcast is information, not legal advice specific to your situation.