Manage episode 276877708 series 2560422
Today's guest is David Hardy, CEO of Offshore NA at Ørsted, a Danish energy company.
We talked about a lot in this episode. David walked me through his path to Ørsted and where he sees the company going. We chatted about how the renewables landscape has changed since he first started working in this area, and the path forwards. Then, we had a great discussion about offshore wind, its penetration to date, its future, and how these projects come about and get implemented, at a granular level.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- Ørsted's origins
- David's background
- Past, present, and future of renewables
- US v. European wind markets
- The U.S. hurdles to developing wind energy in the U.S.
- Ørsted's prioritizations of projects
- Who is buying the power & how is it being sold
- The permitting and regulatory hurdles for offshore wind projects
- The role of subsidies and incentives in project development
- The request for proposal (RFP) process
- Environmental considerations and objections to offshore wind
Links to topics discussed in this episode:
- Transporting wind energy: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/u-s-offshore-wind-needs-to-clear-a-key-hurdle-connecting-to-the-grid/
- US barriers to wind farms: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-01/why-it-s-so-hard-to-build-offshore-wind-farms-in-the-u-s
- The future of wind in the US: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/13/us-has-only-one-offshore-wind-farm-but-thats-about-to-change.html