Manage episode 285889290 series 2533775
Winter gardening. No, I haven't bumped my head, and Christian and I didn't decide to pick up and move south. As crazy as it might sound, your garden is still a valuable tool no matter how cold it gets in the winter. While you might not be able to grow crops, today I'm going to explain how you can utilize your garden as additional storage to help your harvest last. I also cover other ways to extend your garden into the winter months, such as cold frames, high and low tunnels, and greenhouses. While you might be dreaming of a root cellar to solve your storage needs, this episode will give you many practical tips to ensure you're able to get the most out of your harvest!
Concerned about preserving your garden bounty with the on-going canning lid shortage this year? I found the perfect solution!
Harvest Guard canning lids are not only 100% reusable, they are a fraction of the price regular lids are selling for online at the moment. They are BPA-free, earth-friendly (since you don’t have to toss them in the trash after one use), and work GREAT!
Check out their selection of regular and wide mouth lids at http://theprairiehomestead.com/canninglids and use code HOMESTEAD for 10% off your entire order— and shipping is always free.
- Blog post on extending garden seasons: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2019/09/extend-garden-season.html
- Blog post on root cellar alternatives: https://www.theprairiehomestead.com/2015/10/root-cellar-alternatives.html
- Design your dream homestead with my FREE handbook— grab it here: http://theprairiehomestead.com/layout
- Head to http://www.theprairiehomestead.com/grow to get complimentary access to my best homestead resources.
- Get more in-depth homestead info, printable recipes, and tutorials, and more on my blog at www.theprairiehomestead.com
- Get Old-Fashioned on Purpose hats & shirts at www.homesteadswag.com
- Follow Jill on YouTube: http://youtube.com/theprairiehomestead
- Follow Jill on Instagram: http://instagram.com/theprairiehomestead