Manage episode 288257319 series 2835175
An interview with Emily Reid. Emily is a Product Manager for FCT, a Canadian insurance company, as well as consulting for AgeRate, a healthtech startup. Emily is passionate about demystifying data and is leading FCT's charge towards being a data-driven, API-enabled company.
We talk about a lot, including:
- The most important question - is it "this data" or "these data"?
- The pros & cons of working for a big, established firm and the imperative to move to a more agile mindset
- Why she moved from banking into product management, and the misogynistic attitudes she was trying to get away from
- How she skilled up in product management hard skills, as well as data science fundamentals
- The importance of embracing not being the smartest person in the room
- How a background in biotech at uni helped her really explain complicated concepts
- The importance of picking good product metrics & why you need stats knowledge to be an effective PM
- How data science isn't the be all and end all, how to factor failure into the process, and why we might see a new breed of data science specialist product managers
- Why unsolicited internet advice is never welcome and people should just stop
- How she has been judged and patronised as a young, up and coming, blonde woman in technology
And much more!