Product Management Lessons from a PM Turned Teacher Turned PM (with Melanie McKay, Head of Consumer Product @ Rightmove)
Manage episode 284924200 series 2835175
An interview with Melanie McKay. Melanie is the Head of Consumer Product at Rightmove, the UK's #1 property marketplace. She has worked in a number of Product Management roles, and took an interesting move into secondary school teaching in the middle. Since coming back to Product she's gone from strength to strength, including an appearance at Product School's ProductCon.
We talk about a lot, including:
- How Product works at the biggest property marketplace in the UK and whether you get loads of weird requests you get when your TAM is pretty much the entire UK population
- How she got into Product by mistake, and what she did to get good at it with no good information to lead her
- Whether it is in fact harder for new PMs now because there is too much competing information for them
- How her passion for education got her into teaching, how it was teaching computing to kids, and why she came back
- What her experience of teaching taught her that she can use in her Product Management career
- Getting involved with ProductCon and the importance of going outside of your comfort zone
- Her well-received take on the classic PM Venn diagram, and how it's gone down with the PM community
And much more!