Manage episode 276033025 series 2816060
Dr. Eric Guthey is an Associate Professor in the Department of Management, Society, and Communication. He has a background in humanities and cultural history which fosters an interdisciplinary perspective on leadership, management, and cultural dynamics. His primary areas of research include leadership, organization studies, leadership development, and management. His current research explores “the ebb and flow of fashionable leadership concepts."
Review These Resources Before/After Listening!
- Prominent restaurants and CBS team up to learn from each other
- Copenhagen Restaurant Industry’s Response to COVID19
Quotes From This Episode
- “What you have to understand about leadership studies in Europe is that it’s sprung out of sociology.”
- “There are many countries in Europe where there was no word for leadership before the leadership industries arrived.”
- “All management fashions introduce themselves by saying, 'now is a time of unprecedented change.' Everything’s completely different than was before, and so we need a new idea."
- “When you talk to these chefs, they’re amazing people who have amazing self-knowledge of what they do. And so we’re figuring out ways to develop vocabularies and literacies that we can use to both help them and figure out how they can help other industries.”
Resources/People Mentioned In This Episode
- The International Leadership Association Conference
- Scholar: Mary Uhl-Bien - Complexity Theory
- Scholar: Mats Alvesson - Critical Management Theory
- Scholar: Eric Gordon - Economist
- Article: Performing Leadership: Observations from the World of Music by Ralph Bathurst and Donna Ladkin
- Restaurant: Noma
- Chef: Matt Orlando
- Podcast: Hit Parade
Other Podcast Guests Mentioned In This Episode