Manage episode 324312744 series 2819092
On Play Me a Recipe, your favorite cooks will walk you through their most treasured recipes, offering all the insider tips, stories, and tricks you won't get from a written recipe—and you'll be right alongside them, every step of the way.
If you're cooking along, here's the recipe we're making today. Go ahead and grab the ingredients below before starting the episode.
- 1/2 cup uncooked farro
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Neutral oil, for frying
- 1 (6-ounce) package snow peas (about 2 packed cups), ends trimmed and destringed and cut on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (6-ounce) package sugar snap peas (about 2 packed cups), ends trimmed and cut on the bias into 1/2-inch pieces
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Line a small sheet pan with paper towels and set aside. Cook farro according to the package directions, drain well, and spread out onto the prepared sheet pan. Set aside in the refrigerator for at lease 1 hour to slightly dry out, or up to overnight.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, sherry vinegar, parsley, oregano, basil, and garlic to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set the vinaigrette aside to let the flavors marry.
- Add the peas to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly warm to the touch. Line another small sheet pan with paper towels. Transfer the cooked peas to the lined sheet pan and roll them around on the paper until most of the moisture has been soaked up. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a medium skillet, add 1/2 inch of neutral oil and heat to 400°F. Line another small sheet pan with paper towels while the oil is preheating. Add the farro and gently stir it with a slotted spoon to ensure the farro does not clump together. Cook for 90 seconds, or until the farro turns a deeper golden color. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the prepared sheet pan. Season with salt and set aside to cool.
- Once the farro has cooled, add it to the large bowl with the vinaigrette, along with the snow peas, sugar snap peas, and cooked peas. Toss to combine and transfer the salad to a serving bowl. Add shaved Parmesan over the top and serve immediately.
Is there a recipe you'd like to hear us make? Tell us all about it at email@example.com!
Lobby Time Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0